U.S. News & World Report revealed two articles based on the applications for fall 2014. One article is titled “10 Colleges that Receive the Most Applications” and the other is “Top 100- Lowest Acceptance Rates.”
You may think schools with the most applications probably have the lowest acceptance rates, so they are the toughest schools to get into. Actually, it is not the case.
Let’s take a look at the top 10 schools with the most applications. Below are the schools and their number of applications for fall 2014.
- University of California – Los Angeles: over 88,000
- University of California – Berkeley: over 73,000
- University of California – San Diego: over 73,000
- University of California – Santa Barbara: over 66,000
- University of California – Irvine: over 66,000
- University of California – Davis: over 60,000
- San Diego State University: over 56,000
- California State University – Long Beach: over 56,000
- Boston University: over 54,000
- University of Southern California: over 51,000
Don’t be fooled by the number of applicants and think you do not have a chance to enter those popular schools. In fact, several of the 10 schools with most applications have pretty good acceptance rates. For example, University of California, Davis, and the University of California, Irvine have acceptance rates 40.6% and 37.4% respectively.
What about the acceptance rates of the top 10 most difficult schools to enter? Here they are:
- College of the Ozarks: 8.3%
- United States Naval Academy: 7.9%
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology: 7.9%
- Princeton University: 7.4%
- Alice Lloyd College 7.1%
- Columbia University: 7.0%
- Yale: 6.3%
- Harvard University: 6.0%
- Stanford University: 5.1%
- Curtis Institute of Music: 4.8%
See any schools with the most applications on the list of the toughest schools to get accepted? NO!
Believe it. You have a far better chance to enter one of the good schools with the most applications than you think. Why not give it a try?