Last week, 2 more for-profit schools were closing. We certainly will hear many more similar reports in the near future. Just take a look at the following news articles and you will have a clearer idea of what is going on with U.S. for-profit schools.
- Dade Medial College and University of Southernmost Florida are closing their door on Friday. (by Brian Bandell, South Florida Business Journal, 10/30/2015)
- Vanishing Profit, and Campuses (by Paul Fain, Inside Higher Ed, 5/7/2015)
- Ater Corinthian, two more for-profit college chains announce closings (by Claire Zilman, Fortune, 5/7/2015)
- Obama pushes for-profit colleges to the brink (by Allie Grasgreen, Politico, 7/1/2015)
- Nearly 30 more for-profit college campuses to close (by Jillian Berman, Market Watch, 5/7/2015)
When you are searching for U.S. schools to apply to, please pay close attention to any for-profit schools’ recruiting records. See if the schools have law suits against them. Many for-profit schools have misled their new students and applicants with fake employment data for their graduates. Some for-profit schools also make up figures so their new students could get federal financial aids easier. To our knowledge, many for-profit schools are under investigation by U.S. government.
We will keep you posted as we have more news on the closing of for-profit colleges and universities.