What a rollercoaster ride it has been for those who are applying for H-1B extensions and for those waiting for green cards. Finally, we have some good news for those seeking H-1B extensions: “You Are Safe for Now!”
Why Trump Dropped Anti-H-1B Extension Proposal?
Several powerhouses and industrial leaders have spoken up against Trump’s anti-immigrant policies with favorable results. Here are some of the department, people, and reasons.
1. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce:
Ending extension of H-1B visas is a “bad policy” and it is contrary to the goals of a merit-based immigration system.
2. Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard & Congressman Kevin Yoder
They sent a letter to President Trump urging him to reject the proposal to deport H-1B holders waiting for green cards. Congressman Yoder said: “these are the people who have helped America grow and thrive as a nation of immigrants.”
3. U.S. Lacks Skilled STEM Workers
Last but not the least is that the U.S. is facing a severe skilled worker shortage that will impact its economic growth. A CNBC 2017 report suggests “there’s a misunderstanding of which STEM jobs are available. That, in turn, is making fewer kids and young adults interested in pursuing the field as a career later in life.”
USCIS: No Plan to End H-1B Visa Extension
The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has announced that Trump’s administration has canceled its plan to end extensions for H-1B visa workers that have been waiting for their green cards. This announcement came in time for around 700,000 Indian workers who thought they might have to face self-deportation and have to leave the U.S.
Be Prepared for the Worst
1. Just in case Trump changes his mind again, you must prepare for the worst if you are applying for or extending an H-1B visa. Public policies can change on a whim depending on circumstances.
2. Be on the lookout for other possible opportunities and alternatives if the self-deportation policy is reinstated.
3. Increase your value to the job market by obtaining more job skills and becoming even more knowledgeable.
Related Blog Posts
- Not Good Enough: Here is One Denied H-1B Visa Case
- The Changing Rules for H-1B Visa Holders and Their Families
- H-1B Rejection Rate is Up Under Trump